The FSA writing study guide is due Monday 4/1, you will have a test that day covering the material from this homework assignment. Copying will result in a detention, as this is an important assignment. Please answer the following questions by using your FSA writing packets to guide you. Your answers may be written or typed and printed.
If you were absent Thursday of Friday of the last week of school, the first 8 pages of the study guide are attached.
Pgs 9-10 are here: http://www.jccc.edu/student-resources/resource-centers-tutoring/writing-center/files/quotation-verbs-2.pdf
Pgs. 11-14 are here: https://depts.washington.edu/owrc/Handouts/Using%20Transitions%20Effectively.pdf
1. Name and explain one strategy you would like to use in an introduction. Briefly explain how you could have used this strategy in your last essay.
2. Name and explain one strategy you would like to use in a conclusion. Briefly explain how you could have used this strategy in your last essay.
3. Create a counterargument for school uniforms, you can argue for whichever side you want, just make sure to follow the outline provided in the packet with 5 steps.
Use the evidence from this website: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-pros-and-cons-of-school-uniforms
To cite the source in your quotes, you can just cite the author’s name: Amelia Josephson OR (Josephson)
4. Write a lead in sentence using a colon. Don’t forget your citation. Create your claim sentence and evidence from the previously used website: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-pros-and-cons-of-school-uniforms
Example answer: In the article, “Depressed and Anxious? These Video Games Want to Help,” Laura Parker provides examples of the various games that have helped those suffering from mental health issues: “Night in the Woods and Pry have delved into self-identity, anger issues and post-traumatic stress disorder.”
5. How much should you quote? Why?
6. Fix the following quote to make it grammatically correct by using brackets. (Hint: the error is in the point of view of the quote).
Ms. Veber knew her students did not want to do homework during spring break, but she reminded them: “Your test is in two weeks.”
7. Write 3 evidence sentences, using various quotation verbs from the packet. Remember to use a comma after the verb, and don’t forget to provide citations.
Create your claim sentence and evidence from the previous website: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-pros-and-cons-of-school-uniforms
Example: In the article, “Depressed and Anxious? These Video Games Want to Help,” Laura Parker explains that “the interactive nature of games made them more effective than film or television at dealing with mental health.”
8. Provide 10 transition words/phrases that you don’t use or rarely use, and that you would like to incorporate into your writing. (Please don’t write down random words for my sake, this is to help you memorize the words before your test.)