The timeline is a great way to organize your high school years so that you choose those strategies that will benefit you most in accomplishing your academic goals.
- Get to know your teachers, counselors and administrators
- Become familiar with high school graduation requirements
- Speak with your counselor about taking advanced courses
- Begin earning good grades now. The grades you earn in ninth grade will be included in your final high school grade point average (GPA)
- Consider taking the PSAT
- Learn about requirements for Dual Enrollment Scholars Program and AP Program
- Review the grade level promotion requirements
- Get involved in extracurricular activities
- Plan your summers wisely: begin your community service project, work on your summer reading and participate in college summer programs.
- Create a student portal account so you can monitor your grades and attendance.
- Review your graduation status with your counselor
- Formulate post-high school plans
- Prepare for college entrance exams and become familiar with registration dates and deadlines.
- Consider taking test prep courses
- Continue taking math, foreign language, science and history courses
- Make sure you are taking or planning to take courses that will fulfill college requirements
Talk to your CAP Advisor about your future plans and visit the College Assistance Program website
Continue being involved in a club or sport
Become familiar with college admission requirements
Consider taking the PSAT
- Take the ASVAB Career Exploration Test to explore possible career paths
Plan your summers wisely: begin your community service project, work on your summer reading, participate in college summer programs and visit college campuses